Studying in the United States can be a dream come true for many international students, but the cost can be a barrier. Fortunately, there are a number of colleges and universities that offer scholarships to international students. Here is a list of some of the most popular options:
- American University Scholarship: The AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship Program is a full-tuition scholarship for international students who are dedicated to positive civic and social change. The AU EGL scholarship covers all billable AU expenses (full tuition, room, and board) for ONE international student who will need a visa (preferably an F-1 or J-1 student visa) to study in the United States.
- Amherst College Scholarship: Amherst College offers need-based financial aid to international students. Once you have been admitted, your financial need is determined. A financial aid award that is equal to your need will then be offered. The award is sometimes called an “aid package” because it may include both self-help (employment) and gift aid (scholarships and grants).
- Berea College Scholarship: All admitted international students receive financial aid and scholarships that cover 100% of tuition, room, board, and fees for the first year of enrollment. In subsequent years, international students are expected to save $1,000 (US) to contribute toward their expenses. The College does provide summer jobs to international students so that they may meet this obligation.
- Clark University Scholarship: Clark University offers the Clark Presidential Scholarships, which cover full tuition, and on-campus room and board for all four years. The scholarships are awarded to approximately five students each year. It covers full tuition, and on-campus room and board for all four years, regardless of a family’s financial need.
- Colby-Sawyer College Scholarship: International students are eligible for merit-based financial aid from Colby-Sawyer College. The scholarship value increases based on academic ability (measured in GPA) and ranges up to $8,000 per year. The college does not meet full financial need.
- Columbia College Scholarship: Columbia College offers scholarships and awards to outstanding international students. The International Student Scholarship is based on academic ability and family need, amounting up to $16,000 per year. International Excellence Scholarships are competitive, merit-based scholarships that are awarded to international first-year students or transfer students for up to four years and range from $8,000 – $16,000 per year.
- Concordia College Scholarship: Concordia College offers partial financial assistance to international students.
- Dartmouth College Scholarship: Dartmouth College meets the demonstrated need of all admitted undergraduates, including those from other countries.
- East Tennessee State University Scholarship: East Tennessee State University offers the International Students Academic Merit Scholarship for new international students seeking a graduate or undergraduate degree.
- East-West Center Scholarship: The East-West Center Graduate Degree Fellowship provides funding for up to 24 months for Master’s or Doctoral degree study for graduate students from Asia, the Pacific, and the U.S.
- Emory College Scholarship: Emory College offers need-based financial aid awards to a select group of international students each year.
- Illinois Wesleyan University Scholarship: Illinois Wesleyan University offers merit-based scholarships to qualified international applicants with outstanding academic achievement and test scores.
- Iowa State University Scholarship: International freshmen will be considered for a limited number of merit scholarships.
- Michigan State University Scholarship: Michigan University provides a limited number of scholarships and grants to deserving international students.
- New York University Wagner Scholarships: The merit scholarships are offered to a limited number of admitted students each application cycle, including international students.
- Oregon University Scholarship: Each year, the University of Oregon awards more than $2.5 million in financial aid and scholarships to international students.
- Wesleyan University Scholarship: Financial aid for foreign students is extremely limited and is awarded on the basis of both exceptional qualifications and demonstrated need.
- University of the West Scholarship: The University of the West offers scholarships to new international students who achieve high academic standards and demonstrate a financial need.
This is just a sample of the many US colleges and universities that offer scholarships to international students. Be sure to do your research to find programs that are a good fit for your academic and financial needs.
- Start your scholarship search early. Many scholarships have early deadlines, so it’s important to get a head start.
- Be sure to read the eligibility requirements carefully. Some scholarships are only open to students from certain countries or with specific majors.
- Write strong scholarship essays and letters of recommendation. This is your chance to show scholarship committees why you are the best candidate for their award.
- Don’t be afraid to apply for multiple scholarships. The more scholarships you apply for, the better your chances of winning.
I hope this information is helpful. Good luck with your scholarship search!